Thursday, October 25, 2012

Review: Columbia Powerdrain™ Water Shoes

Shoes are among the most important pieces of equipment that I bring to the backcountry.With every step, they are the direct interface between me and the land. I have somewhat, borderline wide feet with the flattest of all flat that an arch could offer. I've gone through so many shoes in my life in search for the "right" one. Today, I am going to talk about Columbia's Powerdrain water shoes, as it is my privilege to be a part of their "Trying Stuff".




















 Field use and performance:
  • Columbia's new 3-layer technology: the mesh, TPU, and EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate) cushion, provided me the barefoot comfort at every touch point. Additional to that, with no-sew TPU caging and a protective TPU toe cap, I was gratified by the perfect fit around my foot. 
  • Easy-cinch bungee cord lacing system allows me to quickly adjust the fit and still maintain ample toe space.
  • The Powerdrain insoles are engineered with Columbia's Techlite™ technology, not only durable, but also absorbing for consistent support and protection throughout a range of impacts. This ideal lightweight material is naturally antimicrobial, easy to care, and odor-resistant for regular, long-term usage.
  • Not to ignore, I must shamelessly agree that these 7.2 ounce shoes are the most attractive wilderness-worthy "camp" sneakers I could ever ask for. After a long day of hiking, it feels good to get out of my boots and air out my feet by a camp fire. I don't need to be a pretty bitch in the backcountry, but hey, being stylish doesn't hurt. I'm a girl, therefore, I am entitled to be attracted to any vibrant, colorful objects.  





Nice attractions:


Columbia's Omni-Grip features small-cut wedges (help move water out from under the shoe) for flawless traction on wet, slick surfaces and a perimeter design for a stable stride on solid ground.   







What about their draining power? After engulfing my shoes underneath the lake's surface, within 3 seconds, built-in drainage ports in heels and forefoot allowed water an instant strategic escape lest my feet suffocate in a pool of liquid. Columbia Sportwear didn't name these water shoes "Powerdrain™" for no reason.











Major disappointments:

As exciting as it is to see the amphibious Powerdrain™ marking their top-notch performance in the market, "quick-drying" and "breathability" are the prominent features that I hope to be improved in the nearest future. My feet stay sweaty due to the lack of air flow, even while in motion. Perhaps, another approach needs to be established to prevent water from staying collected beneath the insoles. As a consequence, my feet felt constantly damp for several hours after being submerged in the lake. Nevertheless, taking them apart to dry them out by a camp fire was also remarkably enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eizmme. Thanks for sharing your experience. Enjoy safer summers with your rubber-soled aqua shoes. AQUA SHOES

    ReplyDelete